We spend a lot of time in our homes and cars and we enjoy them more when they’re clean and decluttered. But busy schedules can make it tough for many of us to keep up with the housework, much less keeping a car clean. Professional car detailers may know how to clean a car on the outside and inside quickly and thoroughly, but you can too! That’s why we put together these pro tips to help you learn how to clean your car faster and easier.
If you like this article, you might also like...
Request An Estimate
How to Clean a Car Exterior
All you need to get your dirty car sparkling clean is soap, water, and the right tools and techniques. Use these tips to clean your car like a pro and give it that beautiful shine:
- Grab a hose and rinse your car thoroughly with water so you don’t scrub the surface dirt and dust into your car’s finish.
- Act like a pro and use car wash soap. Only amateurs use dishwashing liquid which can harm a car’s finish.
- Skip the sponge because it traps dirt that could scratch your car. A car-washing microfiber mitt is just as effective and won’t damage your paint.
- Use one bucket for rinsing and one for your car wash solution. When your microfiber mitt gets dirty, rinse it in the water-only bucket to get rid of dirt and grime, then soap it up again.
- Dry your car with a microfiber cloth instead of chamois towels. They pick up remaining surface dirt that can scratch your car.
- Invest in a dual-action polisher. These tools run at lower speeds than a buffer and make waxing your car safe and easy. Just apply polisher to the pad, polish the finish, and wipe off the dry polish with a microfiber towel.
How to Clean a Car Interior
Inside car cleaning can take longer than cleaning the outside, so you may want to crank up the AC and radio to make it less of a chore. Here’s how to clean the inside of your car from top to bottom:
- Remove trash and other items out of your car, then use a stiff brush to loosen dirt and crumbs from seats and carpeted floor mats.
- Vacuum the mats, floor, and under the seats with a commercial vacuum like those found at car washes.
- Use your vacuum and a brush attachment to get dust and dirt out of air vents and a wand attachment to clean in tight spots.
- Wipe all hard surfaces with a damp microfiber cloth, then use a dry one to apply a vinyl protector.
- Clean leather seats with a leather cleaner and conditioner.
- Shine the glass using a microfiber cloth and a vinegar and water window cleaner.
While The Maids won’t wash your car, we will get your home fresh and clean from top to bottom whenever you need us. Check out our other pro guides for cleaning your home inside and out and get your free estimate today to find out what we can do for your home.