Washing a Shower Curtain in the Washer
Most shower curtains and liners can be machine washed to remove soap scum, buildup and mold. While washing your shower curtain in the washer is quick and easy, you still may have to do some spot scrubbing to remove all the mold.
- Remove the rings and shower curtain from the rod and fold inward into halves or quarters to keep mold spores from spreading around your home.
- Place your shower curtain or liner into the washer with a few towels to protect them from the washing cycle
- Add ½ cup of baking soda with your laundry detergent and run the washer.
- Wash shower curtains and liners on the lowest gentle setting and remove them prior to the spin cycle and allow them to drip dry.
How to Prevent Mold on a Shower Curtain
The best way to prevent mold is changing the conditions that promote mold growth. This means removing moisture from the air, keeping shower curtains clean and avoiding leaks and standing water. Make these mold prevention steps part of your cleaning checklist
and you may never have to remove mold again!
- Run the exhaust vent during your shower or bath and leave it on for at least 30 minutes after you're done.
- Running the exhaust fan is the single best way to reduce moisture throughout your bathroom.
- Squeegee your tub or shower walls right after use to reduce the moisture in the room. It only takes a minute and it immediately minimizes moisture.
- Fix leaks as soon as you spot them. Constant leaking and pooling water allow mold to grow and spread quickly.
- Wash your bath mats and towels regularly. Avoid letting them lie around the bathroom when wet. Dirty, damp fabrics are ideal conditions to promote mold growth and can create unpleasant odors.
- Remove loofahs, sponges and bath products from the shower when you're not using them. Without clutter in your shower, mold has fewer places to hide and grow.
Whether it's mold prevention or mold cleanup, The Maids
can help you keep your home healthy and clean. From the kitchen over the bedroom to the bathroom and beyond, we've got you covered.