Stainless steel adds an image of elegance and sophistication to any kitchen. However, if you don’t clean it often enough, you could be left with a room full of dull, grey appliances. Luckily, stainless steel is ridiculously easy to maintain. All you need to remember is a few simple do’s and don’ts to get back that shine, without damaging your surfaces. Here’s how to clean stainless steel for a kitchen that sparkles.
The Do’s of Cleaning Stainless Steel
- Always start by cleaning with warm water and soft cloth.
- Spray with glass cleaner to clean off fingerprints.
- Use dishwashing liquid and warm water to clean tougher stains and dirt.
- Use a stainless steel cleaner to remove stains if needed, but always read the directions and test a small spot on the appliance first.
- Wipe in the direction of the grain to avoid leaving streaks.
- Always towel dry after cleaning to prevent water spotting. You can consider this the easiest way to polish stainless steel if you can wipe away all of the water streaks.
The Don’ts of Cleaning Stainless Steel
- Never use steel wool or steel brushes. They will scratch the surface of your stainless steel and make it more susceptible to rusting and staining.
- Abrasive cleaners will scratch the surface and should always be avoided.
- Bleach will stain and damage stainless steel. Do not use cleaning sprays or solutions that contain bleach.
- Dirty water and cleaning solutions can leave a residue that can stain and damage the surface, so don’t forget to rinse and dry.
Proper care and maintenance will help you clean your stainless steel appliances and avoid permanent damage and corrosion. With just a little effort, your appliances will stay looking shiny and new.
And remember, if you’d like to get the whole kitchen (or house) in order, call The Maids. We have over three decades of experience under our belts, and are more than ready to hand scrub kitchen floors, wipe down counters, vacuum under beds, remove spider webs, take out trash and a ton of other tasks. Just call 1-800-THE-MAIDS for a free price quote in your area. You deserve a clean house, and we’re ready to help.