How to wash bath mats in a washing machine:
- Take the mat outside and beat it to get rid of embedded dirt, hair, and other debris.
- Apply a stain remover to treat any stains.
- Fill the washer with cold water.
- Wash bathroom rugs together or with a couple of towels to balance out the weight in the washer.
- Use regular laundry detergent and oxygenated bleach for tougher stains.
- Avoid vinegar and bleach because they can break down the rubber backing.
- Remove your bath rugs immediately after the washer stops.
- While you can machine dry many bath rugs, line drying is much easier on the fabric and the rubber backing.
How often you wash your bath mats depends on how much use they get. A big family that takes frequent showers and baths should wash bath mats at least once a week. If you don't get your bath mats wet very often, you can usually go a couple of weeks without washing them. To keep your bathroom rugs cleaner and healthier between washings, you can vacuum them to minimize the dirt and hang them outside if they get too wet. The key is to make sure your bath mats don't stay damp long enough to allow mold and mildew to develop.
Now that you know how to wash bath mats, why not tackle the rest of the bathroom with our pro bathroom cleaning tips? The Maids is on a mission to help families enjoy a cleaner, healthier home. Whether you use our DIY advice or our popular residential cleaning services
, you can count on us to make your home a great place to be. Learn more about cleaning for health and what a difference we can make in your home when you get your free estimate