How to Restore Cloudy Crystal Glass
Unlike crystal glass with water spots, cloudy crystal glasses may require more than hand washing or a vinegar rinse to bring back the sparkle. Mineral deposits in tap water can sometimes create a hazy film on crystal glass that can be tough to wash off unless you use extra firepower. All you need to give the cloudy crystal a refresh is a couple of fizzing antacid tablets and a minute of your time:
- Fill your crystal glass with hot water and drop in one of the antacid tablets.
- Let the bubbling and fizzing scrub the inside of the glass for a minute and watch the cloudiness disappear.
- If you still see buildup spots, use baking soda and a dampened coffee filter to scrub them away lightly.
The two methods above should get your crystal glasses shining again, but what do you do if your crystal still isn't looking its best? If your crystal glasses look dull after they've been cleaned, it's probably time to polish the crystal and get it looking new again.
How to Polish Crystal Glasses
If you only use your crystal dinnerware for special occasions, it may sit in a cabinet collecting dust, kitchen grease, and other residues for months (or years) at a time. The buildup can harden and adhere to the glass, creating a coating that can look permanent. Instead of turning to harsh chemicals or tough scrubbing, here's how to polish crystal glasses and revive them using safe, natural ingredients.
- Make a crystal glass polish by making a paste using a teaspoon of salt and some white vinegar.
- Use your hands to rub the paste on the inside and outside of the crystal glass.
- Let the salt and vinegar break down the residues for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the glass with warm water and dry it with a lint-free cloth.
- Use a coffee filter to bring back the brilliance with a final polish.
Now you know how to wash crystal glasses, remove water spots and mineral deposits, and give them a polishing. If you aren't using your crystal glasses right away, be sure to store them safely
away from dust, dirt, and grease so they will look shiny and new for your next big event.
Add cleaning your crystal glass to your seasonal cleaning checklist
and always be ready for special occasions. Check out our other household cleaning guides
you can use all around your home to save time and money. Whether you do it yourself or try one of our residential cleaning services
, The Maids wants to make housekeeping easier than ever—get your free estimate