Mold may be growing in your home and you don’t even know it, that’s because mold loves dark, warm, humid places to live. Your basement, kitchen and bathroom are at the most risk for mold and bacteria growth because they are in constant contact with moisture. When the conditions are right, mold can grow within 24-48 hours. Leaving mold untreated can cause respiratory illnesses as well as be a major factor for year-round allergies. This is why it is so important to kill mold at first sight.
You’ll need the following cleaning supplies:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Scrub brush
- Rubber gloves to protect your hands
- Spray bottle
Here are 3 household solutions for cleaning mold:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is an anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial solution that kills mold effectively on a variety of materials such as kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, floors and walls.
To kill mold: Pour 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Saturate the moldy surface completely and leave it to sit for 10 minutes.
Next, scrub the area to remove all of the mold and mold stains. And finally, wipe the surface down to remove residual mold and spores.
- VinegarVinegar is a mild acid which can kill 82% of mold species. (Baking soda is often used along with vinegar for killing different species of mold).
To kill mold: Use white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle without watering it down. Spray the vinegar onto the moldy surface and leave it to sit for an hour. Finally, wipe the area clean with water and allow the surface to dry. Any smell from the vinegar should clear within a few hours.
- Baking SodaBaking soda is a mild, white mineral powder, that can be used to kill mold in your home, plus it is safe for your family and pets. Besides killing mold, it will absorb moisture to help keep mold away.
To kill mold: Add one quarter of a tablespoon of baking soda to a spray bottle of water and shake until it has dissolved. Spray the moldy area with the baking soda and water solution, then use a scrub brush to remove all the mold from the surface. Next, rinse the surface with water to remove any residual mold on the surface.
Finally, spray the area again and let the surface dry. (This will kill any left-over mold and prevent the mold from returning).
All of these solutions are great non-toxic alternatives to chemical based cleaners. Not only because they are safe to use and safe for the environment, but all of these products inexpensive and easy to find in your local store. To learn more about the basics of mold, check out this guide from EPA.gov.
If you have an especially tough cleaning project, we can help. Click here to find out about our special cleaning services.