Vinegar, Citrus, Baking Soda. We all know that many everyday items can double as cleaning products. We’ve assembled a list of quick and easy tips that you can read now, or save for later. All of these tips work great if you’re sensitive to cleaning chemicals or if you’re in a pinch because you ran out of your usual cleaner.Do you have other tried and true tips that work for you? Leave us a comment below and share your cleaning “secrets”.
- Add orange peels (or any citrus peel) to a quart of white vinegar in a closed container and let it set for two weeks. When you’re ready to clean, take the mixture and combine with 1/2 solution of water. This is a great alternative for those who just can handle the smell of straight vinegar.
- Use dyer sheets to clean baseboards. They leave a fresh scent and coat the baseboard to repel dust and mites.
- Did you know that salt works as a drain cleaner? Simply mix a solution of ½ cup of salt for every quart of hot water. This will push that clog down the pipe.
- Use olive oil to clean stainless steel by applying a small amount to the surface than buff clean with a dry paper towel.
- Toss some citrus peals such as lime or lemon into your garbage disposal for an instant way to freshen your kitchen.
- Get stickers off of glassware or plates by placing your hairdryer over the label for several seconds. If there is still sticky residue, simply dab on a couple of drops of cooking oil and your glassware will be as good as new.
- Wash your windows with newspapers. They leave less lint and keep windows sparkly clean.
- Remove stubborn stains from glass cooktops by applying baking soda and hot water. Cover with a warm rag and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove and finish with a glass cleaner to make your cooktop shine. Here’s a great step-by-step demonstration by Behind the Studio.
- Mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to form a paste and apply to an old discolored baking sheet. You’ll be surprised on how your old cooking sheets suddenly look like brand new.
- Add a cup of baking soda to the toilet, leave it for an hour, and then flush. It will clean the toilet and eliminate bathroom odor.