If you’re like me, you constantly have your gadgets within reach. Whether it’s a computer, mobile phone, laptop, portable music player or e-reader, they’re a constant part of our daily lives. But how often do we clean them? During the flu season, it’s important to have a good defense.
Over time, dust, grime and gunk take over your mobile gadgets and electronics. Think of how many times a day you touch your computer or phone and then touch your mouth, nose or eyes? Cleaning your gadgets at home and at work will not only keep flu germs at bay, it will decrease the “ewww” factor of your germy gizmos.
1. Turn it off – Before you attack your tech, turn off everything you plan to clean. If it is plugged into a power source, go ahead and unplug it, just to be safe.
2. Slow & Steady Wins the Race – When cleaning your electronics you want to be delicate, so never spray at the device, and never use strong solvents like window cleaner, bleach, or ammonia. Chances are you have a gadget refresher in your home already: rubbing alcohol. It works really well for all your gadgets from TVs and laptops to keyboards. Plain Vodka works just as well.
3. Remember Half & Half – Just pour some of your solvent into a spray bottle, adding 50/50 water to solvent. Then spray your mixture onto a microfiber cloth. Don’t saturate it – just spray enough to effectively wipe the area. Use a q-tip to get in-between keys, or to fix a stuck trackball on your mouse.
4. Dust Be Gone – Dusty cooling fans can cause your computer to overheat. Believe it or not, dryer sheets are a great option for cleaning them out.
5. The Best Device of All – Air! One must-have cleaner for gadgets is a can of compressed air. It’s great at getting all of the little crumbs out of your keyboard and small areas in your electronics. Whatever you do, do not vacuum out any parts of your computer or other electronic devices. The suction can create an electrical charge, causing your devices to crash. Keep a couple of compressed air bottles around at all times for easy use.
Clean those gadgets frequently as we want to make sure we all stay healthy during the New Year.
All the best,